What are LSI Keywords?
As it is clear, today SEO has a very important role in making businesses visible. In order to get the right SEO, points and conditions must always be considered in order to provide a strong SEO based on them. One of the most important points to provide a proper SEO is the correct use of keywords. In previous years, when marketers were looking for good rankings on Google, they were obsessed with just one keyword. But today, the way to achieve powerful content is to have a strong context and text. The reason for this importance becomes clear when we find that according to statistics, 15% of daily Google searches contain phrases that no one has searched for before. With trillions of searches done through Google throughout the year, 15% of daily searches can be considered a significant figure.
The discussion of LSI keywords has been discussed by Google since 2015 and talked about its importance. However, Google did not spend much time explaining this to its audience and Internet marketers, and as a result, many people are still unaware of the nature of the word LSI. LSI stands for Latent Semantic Index (ing), which is a computer program designed to learn a wide range of context-based synonyms. This method uses mathematical techniques to find the relationships between words and concepts in a piece of content.
In almost every article written about LSI, these two goals are mentioned. The first is that Google uses technology called LSI to index web pages, and the second is that using LSI keywords in content helps you rank higher on Google. But technically these two claims are false! In the following, we will state the false reason for this claim. In fact, LSI words are words that are semantically related to the topic under discussion. For example, if you are talking about a car, the keywords LSI may be car, engine, road, tire, vehicle, and automatic transmission. If we want to provide a more accurate definition of these words, we can say that: LSI keywords are terms related to the concept that search engines use to deeply understand the content of a web page.
What are the benefits of using LSI keywords?
As we said at the beginning of the text, every year thousands of Google searches are done that have never been searched before. Because of this, Google has improved its previous algorithm to better understand keywords. Incorporating LSI keywords into your content enhances your content and brings the following benefits:
- These words increase your website’s ranking in search engines : Using LSI keywords in your text helps search engines better understand your page and increase its ranking power.
- Semantic keywords improve the relevance of your content: Adding relevant keywords also ensures that you do not upload your content just because of keywords, or keyword filling.
- Related keywords increase the number of people who find your content: LSI keywords also help you provide a better search experience for users, which in turn means an improvement in various ranking factors, such as time spent in a Page, bounce rate and so on.
Given the above, using LSI keywords in the text can be very effective and useful. In addition to these advantages, can it be said that the use of LSI words also has disadvantages? The answer to this question is that LSI keywords do not necessarily have any flaws, but the indexing method has its limitations. For example, the:
- This method ignores words and removes all conjunctions and prepositions.
- In this method, related words are considered to have the same meaning and no distinction will be made between them.
- Does not recognize basic ideas and irony. In some cases, the meaning of the words may not match the meaning of the text.
How does LSI work?
Obviously, computers are dumb. In the sense that they do not have an inherent understanding of the relationships between the words we use in speech. For example, in Persian, two small words are almost the same meaning, but computers do not understand this issue and the conceptual relationships between words unless they are told and the concept is defined for it. The problem is that it is not possible to define all of these concepts for the computer, and this will require a lot of time and money.
LSI solves this problem by using complex mathematical formulas to extract the relationships between words and phrases from the existing set of documents. Simply put, if we run LSI on a collection of chapters, the computer can probably detect a few things:
- First, in English, Fall is synonymous with Autumn.
- Second, words like season, summer, winter, autumn, and spring are all semantically related.
- Third, Fall is semantically related to two different sets of words.
Search engines can then use this information to provide more accurate queries and more relevant search results. The basis of LSI work is defined in the same way as all the above sets, thus helping search engines to provide a more relevant text. So it is clear that by solving search problems with this method, Google is using LSI keyword technology to better understand the texts. It is also clear that the exact matching of queries is an unreliable way for search engines to return relevant documents. In addition, we see every day that Google search engine understands synonymous words.
The impact of LSI keywords on SEO
In the not-so-distant past, Google crawlers, which were tasked with finding titles based on users’ searches and are now referred to as spiders, automatically crawled the web by crawling from one link to another on connected web pages. They find and scan sites. When crawling from one link to another, they look at the keywords on a page to help them identify the topic. For example, if you want to publish a post titled “21 Tips for Effective Email List Splitting”, Google will scan your page to determine if you use the term “email list splitting” in the main areas of your website. Or not. The main areas of the website are the titles, the body of the content, the subtitles and the text of the images.
After the LSI update, Google’s crawler method changed, thus improving SEO performance. With the update of this system, the following changes were made in Google:
- Google understands pages better than ever . Before using the LSI method, page scans were based on keywords only. But today, Google can scan pages using LSI keywords that are irrelevant but have the same meaning. For example, in the case of “email list segmentation”, Google can also scan pages according to other related topics such as: email contacts, subscribers, email tools, etc. This means that Google tries to understand the overall theme of a page and relies on hidden semantic indexing to understand content at a much deeper level than searching for several specific keywords.
- Google reads pages in text . Basically, Google Algorithm now has the ability to “read” a page the way humans do, and categorizes keywords depending on the context. This means that the search engine can now distinguish even the smallest detail in words. For example, it can distinguish between real and idiomatic sentences or proverbs.
- Google can produce even more relevant results . According to recent Google research articles, they identify words that are often put together to help bots more easily understand the main subject of the pages they scan. In this way, using a more accurate classification, more relevant results are obtained.
- Google can show you a more complete picture of your business. In fact, Google can use its algorithm to better understand your brand, website, industry, and business, and to better understand the content of each page.
Now you can see why LSI keywords have become an important part of the search engine algorithm. Google’s main goal is to provide the most relevant results for searchers; Even for 15% of search terms that have never been searched before. This is an amazing quality standard that would be impossible to achieve without an embedded semantic indexing engine.
Can mentioning related words, phrases and content increase rankings?
Most SEOs consider LSI keywords to be nothing more than related words, phrases and entities. Although this definition may not be technically correct, it is clear that the use of related words and phrases in the content can help improve SEO. To better understand this, the following example can be very helpful.
Note: When searching for the word “dog”, you may not want a page that contains the word “dog” hundreds of times. With this in mind, algorithms evaluate whether there is a page with other relevant content beyond the “dog” keyword. Like dog pictures, movies or even a list of breeds. So on a page about dogs, Google scans the names of different breeds semantically.
Thus, for all topics, mentioning words and phrases related to that area can have a positive effect on increasing your site ranking. Today, SEOs should pay more attention to this point and use appropriate and relevant titles in their content.
Does Youtube also use LSI keywords?
In addition to Google, many content, especially videos, are viewed through YouTube today. Many people in the world make money through YouTube, which is why this network is known as one of the most popular programs among users. The question for many SEOs is whether YouTube also searches for LSI keywords. Does it use or not? In answer to this question, it can be said that although the original owner of Youtube is Google, but these two work on two different search engines and algorithms. What surprises users is that YouTube does not seem to use LSI keywords to rank when writing an article. So while YouTube search offers relevant suggestions to the user, there are not many places to insert LSI keywords.
SEO on YouTube, in fact, relies heavily on high-quality editing to increase engagement and click-through rates. Of course, this is a very simple definition of a very complex YouTube algorithm; But it is a universally accepted fact that high-quality editing, instead of using LSI keywords, is the biggest factor in YouTube algorithm. So while LSI keywords seem to be an important factor in Google search engine, they are not very important in YouTube search engine.
How to find and use LSI keywords
The first step in finding LSI keywords is to build a foundation of important keywords for your business. Once done, finding keywords will be easy. Here are five key pointers in moving your LSI keywords together.
- Google AutoComplete : Google Instant Search is the easiest way to find keywords related to the keyword. All you have to do is type in the keyword you want in the Google search box; What you see is a wide range of predictions about the topics that are most relevant to your topic. Look for words that appear in bold sentences. This way you can identify the list of words related to your content and use them in your text.
- Google Related Searches : With this feature, you can type your main keyword in Google and then scroll to the bottom of the page to find the “Related Searches” section. This way you can use the words found as relevant search in your text.
- People Also Ask : One of the most important and amazing features of Google is the ability to use the “People Ask” box for free. Using this feature, you can also identify related results and use them in the text. Using this issue, you can follow the more prominent cases and apply them.
- LSI Chart: This chart is an LSI keyword generator that is available for free. This feature helps you to find all the phrases related to your main keyword. Simply type the main keyword of your page and thus receive a list of LSI terms as a suggestion.
- Serpstat : This tool is also known as one of the most effective tools for finding semantic expressions. Using this tool, you can simply enter your main keyword and click on SEO Search> Keywords related. This will give you a long list of words and phrases to choose from.
In addition to the above, there are other useful tools for finding LSI keywords . Ahrefs, Moz and Moz tools are great tools for finding keywords. These tools also allow you to filter words by connection power, search volume, and more.
How to use LSI keywords for SEO
The tools mentioned in the previous section can find keywords related to the text and the main keyword for you. Now it’s time to use these words in your content text. By adding these words to the content text, you can fully understand its impact on SEO. In this section, we will explain how to use words in the text.
- Choose the LSI keywords that are right for your topic. Before you decide how to incorporate LSI keywords into your text, you need to identify the right words for your topic.
- Consider the total monthly estimate for resources. Sometimes it can be really difficult to determine the best LSI keywords for your text, as some suggestions may include a different post or topic.
- Add LSI keywords to your page. You should add your LSI keywords to the same parts of the text as you add your main keyword, including: titles, subheadings, image tags, and density throughout the text. At this point, you should note that the main keyword and LSI keywords are naturally and evenly distributed throughout the text. Because unreasonable use of words in the text can greatly reduce the quality of the content.
In addition to the above, other points need to be considered to improve the SEO status of content using LSI keywords. For example, excessive use of synonymous words can have a negative effect on SEO. It is usually recommended that you use LSI words once for every 200 to 300 words of content. No matter how many times you use LSI keywords , your top priority should always be to provide clear, concise, and useful information that helps readers find the answers and solutions they want; It will also help you achieve your business goal of turning readers into customers.
Discussion of LSI keywords is recognized today as one of the most important topics in SEO that SEOs need to be fully familiar with and use it in preparing their content; Google has provided powerful tools for its audience to find and use these words .